Covering Your Bases: How to Include Additional Insureds and Crew Members Under Your General Liability Insurance Policy
Purchasing General Liability insurance coverage for your business is a no-brainer—and deciding who needs to be included on your policy should be just as easy. There’s you, your crew, the owners of the property or venue where you’re working…okay, so it’s a little trickier than it seems.
This guide covers Named Insureds, Additional Insureds, and everything in between; keep it handy the next time you’re purchasing a General Liability insurance policy for a who’s who refresher.
Who’s on First, What’s on Second: Named Insureds and Additional Insureds
Let’s start by looking out for #1: you, the policyholder! You are what we in the biz call the Named Insured, defined as the specifically named individual or firm with whom an insurance contract is made, and whose interests are protected under the policy.
That’s all well and good, but what if you’re working with another company or entity on a particular job? This is where Additional Insureds come in: an Additional Insured is a party added to a liability policy as an insured in regard to a specific job, activity, or location. This person or entity has a business relationship with the named insured, and extending coverage to them is a means of protecting their interest in the event that a covered claim or lawsuit is brought against them for injury or damage caused by your negligence.
Please note: an Additional Insured is different from your crew or employees (more on that later).
Adding Additional Insureds to your General Liability Insurance Policy
Once you’ve identified the Additional Insureds who should be included on your policy, adding them is easy. You can add Additional Insureds in the Verifly mobile app during or after purchase by following these simple steps:
1) While you are on the policy builder, tap “Additional Insureds” near the bottom and then tap “Add Additional Insured.”
2) Search and select the organization you would like to add from our list, or tap “Add New” to create your own Additional Insureds.
3) Include the name of your Additional Insured as you would like it to appear on your certificate of insurance. You also have the option to include a label for your reference, an email address, a description of operations, and a certificate holder.
4) Enter your Additional Insured’s email address, and they will receive a PDF copy of your certificate of insurance and their Additional Insured endorsement.
5) After you have added the Additional Insured and entered all relevant information, tap “Save Additional Insured.”
6) Add new Additional Insureds by tapping “Additional Insureds” on the policy builder and then tapping “Manage Additional Insureds.”
Bringing Your Coverage Home: Adding Crew Members to Your Policy
In addition to yourself and your Additional Insureds, there is a third group that you may be interested in securing insurance coverage for: your employees, or what we call your “crew.” Your crew includes anyone who is engaged in a cooperative effort with you whose actions related to the covered activities you would like to be insured by your policy.
It is important to note that your crew members are not Additional Insureds, but including your crew members on your General Liability insurance policy is just as simple as adding Additional Insureds. We currently support policy coverage for crew members in a growing number of states—if this feature is supported where you live, you will be prompted to add your crew members when you purchase your policy. If your business is not located in one of these states, coverage is priced and offered for one person (but this feature will be available in your state soon, so check back often!).
Our editorial content is intended for informational purposes only and is not written by a licensed insurance agent. Terms and conditions for rate and coverage may vary by class of business and state.